Assay Lab Team Leader
Atlantic Gold Corporation continues to expand our team and are seeking an Assay Lab Team Leader for our Moose River Consolidated Mine. Moose River Consolidated Mine is Atlantic Gold’s flagship mine located approximately one hour outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada and went into production in fall 2017. Work at one of the best new mines in North America, while living near a city regularly rated as one of the most livable in Canada.
Reporting to the Analytical Services Advisor, the Assay Lab Team Leader is a working supervisor responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the scheduled crew working in the analytical lab. The individual ensures that departmental goals and directives applicable to the day-to-day safe and efficient operation of the analytical laboratory are met. Keeps the Chief Assayer informed of ongoing activities, initiatives and issues or concerns. Assumes the role of the Chief Assayer during his/her absence
Primary Duties and Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Participate in the implementation and sustainability of AGC Health & Safety and Environmental systems within the Analytical Laboratory.
- Ensures that all analytical (mineral science) employees are trained and aware of process status and hazards on specific jobs.
- Ensure that employees are kept informed of safety and production statistics to encourage participation in potential improvements.
- Ensures the safe handling and storage of dangerous goods
- The leader is responsible for the direct supervision of their crew and for coordinating the planning of a safe and quality flow of samples to meet the analytical production goals.
- Provides leadership and direction and encourages employees to develop their skills and abilities and gets involved with training.
- Provide clear and consistent direction for the crew through actions and words
- Demand accountability from technicians for their work performance
- Ensure all contractors adhere to AGC standards as well as those in the Analytical lab.
- Maintains the highest housekeeping standards for the analytical lab
- Keep assay technicians informed of client needs, sample priority and forecast.
- Manage cost through efficient use of reagents and ensuring suitable inventory is available for continuous operation
- Ensures and enforces safe work practices/procedures and safe working conditions are maintained throughout the lab. Responds to emergency situations and unusual operating conditions to ensure the safety of personnel and limit potential negative impacts on production and costs.
- Promotes the usage of the FLRA system and other safety programs. Ensures timely follow-up and implementation of corrective measures.
- Ensures that daily safety huddles and information exchange meetings are held with employees at the start of each shift.
- Ensures quick follow-up to safety issues that are identified through Occupational Health and Safety Act and Supervisory tours.
- Reports all safety or environmental incidents, and completes incident reports as required using the company database (SAP).
- Ensures the protocols set forth in the Manual for Quality Control and Quality Assurance are adhered to.
- Provides timely and accurate assay support required for the mine and mill to plan optimum production and meet AGC business objectives.
- Coordinates daily planning so that there are minimal work interruptions and ensures the achievement of analytical KPI’s.
- Responsible and accountable for achieving production targets and ensuring maximum utilization of equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education and Experience:
- Able to meet deadlines and production targets
- Extensive understanding of various assay methods including fire assay and atomic absorption
- Advanced computer skills including excel and word
- Experience leading teams
Candidates should posses one of the following:
- Degree in Chemistry or Metallurgy from a recognized university or,
- Diploma from a certified technical college in either Chemistry or Metallurgy or,
- A certificate of assaying issued by the government of British Columbia or,
- Minimum of 5 yrs experience in Mineral Science testing for precious metals using fire assay and Atomic absorption finish (gravimetric analysis is also a requirement)
HOW TO APPLY:
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, aboriginal peoples and members of visible minorities. Members of the Mi’ kmaq community are encouraged to self identify in your email application. There is no Fly-In-Fly-Out roster or camp for this mine. We offer relocation assistance for qualified candidates who are willing to relocate.
Interested candidates are invited to click firstname.lastname@example.org and submit your resume via email siting Assay Lab Team Leader in the subject line.
Recruitment agencies are requested to refrain from submitting resumes to this posting. AGC will not recognize unsolicited candidates from recruitment firms.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified