Health and Safety Supervisor - Exploration and Projects
Atlantic Gold Corporation is operating the 2mtpa Touquoy open pit gold mine and on-site processing plant in central Nova Scotia as part of the Moose River Consolidated Mine. Currently we are seeking an experienced, well qualified professional to fill the role of Health and Safety Supervisor, Exploration and Projects for our Exploration and Project Development Teams. This position is based at the Touquoy mine site located approximately 1hour northeast of Halifax, Nova Scotia with responsibilities for the various exploration sites around the province.
Reporting to the Head of Exploration, Exploration with oversite from the Manager, Health and Safety the Health and Safety Supervisor, Exploration and Projects is responsible for working with the exploration manager, exploration field teams and relevant functional departments, the Exploration HSE Officer will provide leadership; help set direction and oversight for all matters related to Health Safety and Environmental strategies, practices and undertakings across the Nova Scotia Exploration district. In addition, this role will have responsibility for development project sites.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Be a visible safety leader
- Identify safety issues and encourage a site safe work culture with safety being top priority
- Promote & foster Company goals & objectives with all maintenance activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Develop effective communication strategies to raise the profile of Exploration and drive accountability for continual HSE improvements.
- Identify and apply consistent leading HSE practices within the exploration district and on development projects.
- Develop a system of timely and effective communications across the exploration district
- Review and consolidate district risk registers to identify risks and critical controls that mitigation unwanted exposures across exploration and development HSE practices
- Ensure corrective actions and lessons learned from internal and external sources are effectively communicated and consistently applied across the district.
- Establish processes for regional monthly HSE metrics, scorecards and reporting
- Review HSE performance and assist in the development district HSE leading practices
- Engage relevant stakeholders in the process of setting minimum HSE standards and practices
- Actively participate in the development and maintenance of standardized drilling contracts that effectively communicate HSE expectations, behaviors and equipment requirements.
- Participate in prequalification reviews of contractor companies to ensure long term commitment to the improvement of HSE practices.
- Conduct frequent site visits to assess/audit drilling HSE performance.
- Align with Atlantic Gold Corporation process for the development of Exploration Integrated Management practices
- Draft and support the adoption of Exploration HSE Systems and practices
- Support the Exploration Group adopt a risk based work culture
- Provide visible leadership across all exploration field activities
- Assist responsible management with preparation, execution and regular testing of exploration Regional and Site-specific emergency response plans.
- Develop and monitor audit practices that support all exploration HSE systems
- Work with management to manage health exposures and to increase awareness of work related health risks
- Support the design and management of on-site medical services and coordinate off-site medical support and evacuations.
- Apply Atlantic Gold Corporation standardized programs for HSE training and induction for the exploration and development project workforce
- Maintain HSE training records specific for the exploration workforce.
- Work with exploration management to coordinate the setup and closure of exploration field activities supported through formal action plans.
- Budget for and manage relevant HSE functional requirements.
- Monitor and advise relevant management of compliance with HSE plans and objectives
- Report incident losses related to people, materials, environment and business process in accordance with established systems and plans
- Collect, analyse, report and discuss HSE data and information with relevant management to drive continuous improvements against agreed action plans
- Provide assurance against local, provincial and national legislative requirements
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- Ability to work with diverse personalities
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience in a professional HSE role.
- Understanding of various drilling services, exploration techniques and variations of surface drilling equipment and support equipment.
- Highly effective communication skills are required for this position to effectively communicate across a broad range of working environments and business functional groups.
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage and influence change across a variety of working environments.
- University or professional qualifications in Health, Safety and Environment and/or Management.
- Comprehensive understanding of the development, implementation and monitoring of HSE systems.
- Competent in Risk Management processes related to HSE practices.
- Exposure working in remote locations is highly desirable.
- Must be a self-starter, capable of working independently but closely aligned with teams’ goals and objectives
HOW TO APPLY:
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, aboriginal peoples and members of visible minorities. Members of the Mi’ kmaq community are encouraged to self identify in your email application. There is no Fly-In-Fly-Out roster or camp for this mine. We offer relocation assistance for qualified candidates who are willing to relocate.
Interested candidates are invited to click firstname.lastname@example.org and submit your resume via email siting Health and Safety Supervisor, Exploration and Projects in the subject line.
Recruitment agencies are requested to refrain from submitting resumes to this posting. AGC will not recognize unsolicited candidates from recruitment firms.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified