Atlantic Gold Corporation is developing the 2mtpa Touquoy open pit gold mine and on-site processing plant in central Nova Scotia as part of the Moose River Consolidated Project. We are currently assembling our key operations team and are seeking an experienced, well-credentialed professional to fill the role of Mine Manager. This position is based at the Touquoy mine site located approximately one hour northeast of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The project is fully funded and permitted and is expected to go into production in fall 2017. Work at one of the best new mines in North America, while living in a city regularly rated as one of the most livable in Canada.
The role of Mine Manager offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced leader to join our organization and make a significant impact on all facets of mine operations and to bring the mine into production.
A results-oriented leader with a track-record of success in running open pit mines in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. You possess a solid reputation and a track record of success implementing projects or transformations in a mining context. You are at ease in the role of coach and mentor and believe in building the whole team you are responsible for leading.
Reporting to the General Manager responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Fully supports the location health, safety, environmental and quality (HSEQ) programs by overseeing their implementation, maintenance and enforcement in the operations team for employees and contractors
- Build a strong operating team to bring the mine into production.
- Directs subordinate Supervisors, and through them their staff, ensuring their professional development, managing their performance in accordance with established objectives and responsibilities, coordinating location goals with Company strategic plans and delegating authority as required.
- Confers with senior management to establish production and quality standards, create safety, health, environmental and quality objectives and develop budget and cost controls for the Mine Operations team.
- Directs and coordinates engineering activities for the mining operation and ensures that there is a high standard of mine planning in place.
- Specifically, this entails optimized long and short-term mine plans and schedules, layouts, surveying control, ground control, cost control and coordination of construction and improvement projects and coordination of central and external technical resources being used at the site.
- Mine Planning - must maintain long and short-term mining plans that make the best use of the ore reserve, ensure the lowest possible unit cost and always have safety inherent in their design. Undertake Mine Planning and Mine Reconciliation
- Design and Control - ensures the timely delivery of detailed layouts and schedules to implement the mine plan and the surveying and audit procedures to ensure that implementation is as per plan and initiates corrective action as required.
- Budget and Cost Control - coordinates the activities and resources to compile accurate mine budgets and cost forecasts with the appropriate site team input and review and meeting the needs and deadlines of the external budget customers. Ensures that the appropriate cost information and statistics are compiled and distributed so that the mine team can take action when necessary.
- Mine Systems - accountable for having mine systems properly designed and installed for the mine. These included: , air, water, dewatering, and human systems (refuge, sanitation etc.). These will often involve the direction of central resources.
- Coordinates activities with outside contractors, suppliers, vendors and consults with cost control and purchasing personnel to assure cost-effective purchase of goods and services.
- Identify and resolve employee relations issues in consultation with human resources for advice and counsel.
- Prepares reports and annual budget for Mine Operations.
- Makes presentations to Executive Management, employees and responds to concerns from senior managers, employees and regulatory agencies.
- Applies knowledge of mining operations and/or engineering principles to assist with the investigation of improvement ideas and resolution of problem areas in mining ops.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience
- Strong Safety focus
- Coaching and mentoring/ develop team members (technical, leadership, interpersonal)
- Skilled communicator able to interact with frontline to executive level
- Collaborative and able to build strong working relationships with peers and other members of the mine management team.
- Deep technical knowledge of open pit mining and equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of drill and blast design.
- Project Management.
- Financial Acumen – budget preparation and oversight.
- Supervise the execution of technical evaluations for development opportunities and make recommendations.
- Experience with a variety of open pit design and operations software such as Minesight 3D, Vulcan, Gemcom, Whittle, XPAC, EPS Scheduler and Modular.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in a related and relevant Engineering discipline like Mining, Geological, Geotechnical or Civil combined with extensive Mine Management experience.
- Currently registered or qualified to register as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) and Qualified Person under National Instrument 43-101.
- Candidates should have an advanced level of understanding of Geology, Mineralogy, Mining and Mine planning.
- Expert understanding of economic relationships and impacts as related to mine design, planning, cutoff grades and financial optimization.
- Track record of success in managing mining operations in open pit mines.
- Track record of success in developing additional sites on property.
HOW TO APPLY:
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, aboriginal peoples and members of visible minorities. Interested candidates are invited to click email@example.com and submit your resume via email siting the job you are applying for in the subject line:
Recruitment agencies are requested to refrain from submitting resumes to this posting. AGC will not recognize unsolicited candidates from recruitment firms.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified